Saturday, November 6, 2010

IT'S ABOUT LOVE

I was feeling really bad yesterday as i stood in front of Dr Emily's clinic because none of the girls i tried speaking to gave me even a look. I knew the reason i couldn't get their attention was because probably they could see through my eyes that i was scared. Seeing strong looking faces walk into the clinic made me really worried about saying the right thing and not upsetting these girls and their boyfriends. However i continued trying to get their attention until something else caught mine.

There were two ladies who came to pray in front of the clinic. Just as they arrived, they came towards me, greeted me heartily and went back to position themselves at the other end of the gate. After some minutes of prayer, one of the ladies stepped closer to the entrance of the clinic and called the attention of a guy who had come with his wife for an abortion and was outside smoking while the wife was in the clinic. He looked really rough and tough. But at the call of the lady, he came to the gate, where we were standing and listened attentively to what the lady had to say. I was amazed. Though he went back into the clinic to 'support'his wife who insisted on having the abortion, the message was already passed to him.

Then just after the man went back into the clinic, a couple walked out of it. As they approached us, this same lady called their attention and they stopped to listen. Again i was amazed. She spoke with them and discovered that she came out of the clinic still pregnant. A sonogram was done on her in our bus(The sonogram bus) and confirmed that she was thirty weeks gone, the reason she was sent out of the clinic. After the sonogram, the couple were adviced on what to do and they left happy.

When it was time for the ladies to go back home, i couldn't help but make my amazement known to the lady who had counselled the young couple and the man who came with his wife. I told her about how none of the girls who walked into the clinic paid attention to me. She looked at me with a sincere smile and said,"Don't be afraid to speak to them.It's not so much about what you may say right or wrong but about the love of God in your heart for them." At those words, i felt like bursting into the clinic and shouting to every one that cared to listen that i love them. What she said reminded me of a passage in the scripture that says perfect love drives out fear.

I am looking forward to going back to Dr Emily's clinic to counsel girls from having an abortion. It's not about politics. It's not about money. It's not about self righteousness. It's about love. Love is all that matters.

No comments: