Sunday, November 4, 2012

Silent Love



Sometimes one just needs someone to talk to you.  An ear to listen.   Sometimes the best thing we can do, to show someone we care,  is to take the time out to listen with understanding  and sympathy.   Over the last week I have counseled many girls who just needed to talk.  They sit with me for sometimes 2-3 hours just chatting about their work, daily life, things they enjoy doing and their trails.  They talk to me of their dreams and of their fears.  Being born into a close large family having someone to talk to was never really a problem.   I think sometimes I take for granted the encouragement and support that a listening ear offers that is just a phone call away from me.  So, so, many people are starving for this kind of love.  So deprived from this kind of human relationship that they will sit and talk with me, a complete stranger, up to 3 hours or more because I give them a warm welcome, smile, laugh and relate with them and give them time where no one else would.  In the society where we constantly have our phone on us, have apps to remind us of our next appointment,  have continual distractions from what is in the here and now.  We need to remind ourselves to stop and give attention to those who may happen to be in our life at that moment.  I think our mentality has to be "you are the person who is right in front of me.  You are the one who is hurting and in need.  You are the one I am here to help."  Just as Mother Teresa said "Start with the person who is right in front of you."

                                                            Aftermath of Sandy.


...Though flood waters threaten, they will never reach him. You are my shelter, you guard me from distress; with joyful shouts of deliverance you surround me. - Psalm 32: 6-7

No comments: