Tuesday, October 2, 2012

"I want to keep my baby, I just don't know how."

I was in the Brooklyn office on Monday and I was able to talk with a returning client. She had come in the week before (on a day that I was not there) and left undecided about keeping her baby, wanting to bring her boyfriend back to see the baby on the sonogram. While we waited for him to arrive, I was able to talk to her and learn a little more about her situation. She is so worried because she was just laid off last week, and she doesn't even know where is going to get rent money for this month, and thinking about putting a baby in that situation is heart wrenching for her. This was nothing really new, I'd heard this same concern from most of the women I've counseled. There was something else. I asked her, "So what makes you undecided?" She said, "I don't want to go through the pain of another abortion."
She then proceeded to tell me about the abortion she had just 6 months ago. Her family didn't know, and so she couldn't really tell them why she was hesitant to have an abortion now. She hasn't told her mother yet because she doesn't want to disappoint her. Finally, she said "I want to keep my baby, I just don't know how." She was one of the most open and honest young women I have ever had the pleasure of talking with. She told me she is worried she won't be a good mom, because she doesn't know the first thing about babies. I have no doubt she will be an amazing mother.

No comments: