Monday, March 28, 2011

This is how I know…


This is how I know…


That I’m saving lives... That I’m helping people... That I’m doing a good work. See, there was a girl, and even if she was the only girl I saw be helped, I would still know this is what’s right.
This young woman was walking up to Dr. Emily’s Abortion Clinic in the South Bronx on a cold Tuesday morning. She was planning to abort her baby. Julie, an amazing Counselor at EMC stopped her and asked what she was doing that morning. The young lady said she was going in for a sonogram and an abortion. Julie informed her that she could get a free sonogram with us, but that Dr. Emily’s would charge her for one. She agreed to get a free sonogram and followed Julie to EMC’s Mobile Pregnancy Center, a bus parked outside of the abortion clinic and equipped for counseling and sonograms. When Julie asked her how far along she thought she was, she said she was maybe 5 or 6 weeks. The sonogram showed, however, that this woman was 20 into her pregnancy. That’s 5 months!! With this information and the images of her child on the screen, she was clearly moved. Julie spent nearly a half an hour with the woman, providing her with detailed information on abortions and what exactly would happen if she were to go inside and got one. She also explained the alternatives and the great life she could have and the love she could experience if she kept her baby. The young woman looked visibly happier when she walked out of the bus and when another one of our EMC workers stopped her to ask what she decided. She said she would keep her baby.
I’ll never know just how much of an amazing impact on her life that decision to keep her beautiful child, will make. But I do know how much of an impact it made on her baby because her baby has been promised the protection of his or her life. That child will live because someone told her the facts, let her see her baby, and just listened… because someone cared. And if people like this weren’t here, weren’t listening to God and following His call, then that baby might not be alive right now. This is how I know that I am doing what’s right.

No comments: