Wednesday, March 2, 2011

No Explanation


The New York City Council voted on Bill 371 today. Many councilmembers simply voted yea or nea, without giving an explanation of their vote. Some asked for permission to give explanations, and most of their explanations were as cowardly as their votes, but a few of which were courageous. One councilmember tried to make a joke as he cast his vote against the First Ammendment, and against pregnancy centers that offer free sonograms.

This may not be a verbatim quote, but I think he said, "...May I explain my vote?" When he had been granted permission, he continued, "Well, that's too bad, cause I really don't want to!" The New York City Council erupted with laughter. I would like to hear this councilmember's explanation, because there isn't a good one.

Laughter, as they passed a Bill that was designed to prevent expectant mothers from learning about all of their options.

No comments: