Saturday, March 5, 2011

Father... forgive them!


Protect women's lives... I love Pro-choice NY... Stand for Women's Health.....

These are some of the slogans that were proudly displayed at the 'Stand up for Women's Health' Rally on February 26th at Foley Square.
You can imagine my reaction to this display.... A lone pro-lifer amidst a horde of people that wanted my message and my passion to be removed from the fabric of society. All alone and watching the masses pour into this crowded square, I felt as if I were an alien in a foreign land.

My undercover observances were short lived, because I was joined by a few brave soldiers in the fight for Life. We were mocked, ridiculed, insulted, blocked, and generally disrespected simply for having a different opinion.... and we were out numbered nearly 1000 to 1 !

It seemed pointless to me. I asked God, "why would you bring me here?" I wanted nothing more than to crawl into my cowardice and disappear. You see it is easy to be pro-life when you are surrounded by people that share your convictions and passions for respecting life... the real kicker is how you act in the face of brutal opposition. Though I felt as though my fear were going to manifest itself as a great lion and gobble me up in one great gulp, I found in the end of the demonstration a reason for my presence.

Each member of our impromptu pro-life coalition was able to begin good dialogue with rally attendees. The conversation I was honored to engage in was constructive, respectful and non-threatening. This young woman and I spoke for a long time about feminism, poverty, and health. I spoke about the work I do each day in our pregnancy centers and at the end of our discussion she walked away saying that she respected what I did and was glad that there were people out there offering the options that our centers provide to pregnant women in this city. It was a little victory...

Even though the city council has passed Intro Bill 371, and even though our message will be unconstitutionally restricted, it is evident to me after this rally that some members of the "opposition" do in fact have a respect for the work we do. This woman acknowledged that we matter and this I feel is a baby step on her path towards the truth about Planned Parenthood and the Abortion debate. My heart goes out to her! I will pray that this baby step towards life will grow into a passion for TRUE women's health rather than the flawed rhetoric of pro-choice New York.

No comments: