Monday, October 11, 2010

Through Death, Life

Women never choose abortion because they feel empowered. Oftentimes, during counseling sessions a deeper issue will become evident.

In a striking example of this, I met a girl who was about as abortion minded as they come - incredibly scared and fragile. After talking for a while we got to the root issue in her decision that she wanted to choose death. Her brother had died about a month ago (approximately the same time she concieved), and this was the reason she was in a pit of despair.

The most powerful moment I've experienced in a while was when she finally reached hope by saying that "I don't know what God thinks, but I know my brother would want me to keep my baby."

In this very humbling saying she, although not admitting it, did realize what God thinks - and God was speaking to her in the form of what her brother would have wanted.

When we experience death, sometimes we fall into despair, but if we only can muster the hope, life may arise. God often blesses us when we are at rock bottom, but we must choose to cooperate with his life giving gifts.

No comments: