Tuesday, October 19, 2010

RIPPLE EFFECT


Every decision we make for ourselves as individuals, no matter how personal it may seem like what kinds of clothes to wear or what to eat, affects not only us but others as well. One month now into this internship, I have seen how it´s-my-life attitude of young girls has led into premarital sex, resulting into unplanned pregnancy, and then the thought of abortion, which ultimately affects the unborn, the mother, and those who love them both.

For example, we have had situations where a girl´s reason for wanting abortion was because of the realization of the hurt her unplanned pregnancy will bring to her parent or parents, as the case may be. To her, having her baby at a tender age is a destruction of the hope and dreams her parents have for her. It is an addition of an extra load to the weight of responsibilities her parents are still managing carry.

But as she tries to undo the consequences of her initial decision, she does not understand that the abortion decision has even worse ripple effect.

For example, this decision will put the girl under a long list of life threathening post abortion risks like infertility, bleeding to death, or psychological unrest leading to hallucination or night mare. When any of the risks happens, guess who is also affected? Her loved ones, family and friends. The truth is, no matter how universally despised a person is, there is someone somewhere who still loves the person and will share his or her joy and pain.

The abortion decision will also affect the preborn who is to be kept from being born. Who knows what this child may become in the future if given a chance. This reminds me of a song done on behalf of aborted babies by an accapella group. Here´s the lyrics of the song titled, WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO BE.

What was I suppose to be?
What were my eyes suppose to see?
Why did I taste of death
Before I even drew a breath?
I laid my head on my mother´s breast to sing
oh Jesus, what was I suppose to be?
Was I to be a prophet used in the ministry
or a doctor who could find a cure to some terrible disease?
Even if I were born imperfect why couldn´t my parent see that
if I were made imperfect you came back for me
Oh Jesus, what was I suppose to be?

There are still numerous examples of how abortion decision has affected mothers, babies and those who love them both but~I will not be able to give all because of time. Nevertheless I will like to state the obvious that life is not all about just one person. We all are related, therefore we are all affected by our decisions.

For young girls who are contemplating abortion, I believe your present and future well being is more important to your loved ones than whatever it may cost to keep your flesh and blood. And for those who are not yet pregnant, abstenance is possible and is the BEST.

No comments: