Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Pit

The biggest fear of a sidewalk counselor is seeing one of the girls that was turned around at the clinic back at the clinic at a later date. This is exactly what happened to me today.

Sometimes all the work it takes to bring the girl from the pit becomes moot when they fall right back in.

Luckily, this particular girl was able to be convinced a second time around to choose life. Last time she had been shown her baby via ultrasound and talked with for a while. But apparently, just as quickly as she had arisen from the pit, she had fallen back in. Interestingly, I had texted her last night to see how she was doing - she didn't reply but I think one reason she chose for today to have an abortion at Emily's is because she knew we would attempt to help her again.

This time we went to the White Castle across the street and we ate and talked with her and her friends for well more than an hour. (I was illegally parked for more than a half-hour of that time but didn't get a ticket - in this city you know that means God is with you).

She obviously needs prayers and constant support, and I will be more thoroughly keeping in touch and giving emotional assistance. Out of all the girls you talk to and see day after day, a few of them really stand out - for me, she is one such girl. This time I hope and pray she is out of the pit for good.

No comments: