Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Fight of Our Forefathers

This past week I had the privilege of attending the Heartbeat International annual conference in Richmond, Virginia. Two days prior to the beginning of the conference I was lucky to be able to tour Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown. Walking in the footsteps of our founding fathers, revolutionary soldiers, and American colonists inspired me to think of the start of our nation. I contemplated the sacrifices made to gain our freedom and independence. The values, morals, and dignity embodied by men such as Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, and Patrick Henry stuck out vividly in my mind.

As the conference began, I met and listened to speeches by amazing leaders in the pro-life movement. These people have given their lives to the cause—fighting for the lives of the defenseless unborn. Leaders such as these make difficult sacrifices each day to help bring the hope of the Lord to women who have none. They are some of the most selfless, humble, and loving people that I have ever come into contact with. As a young person, I was motivated to give everything I had to the movement, as well. These pregnancy centers are the frontlines of the movement, and I have been blessed to be a part of this mission.

Reflecting on my week in Virginia, I couldn’t help but to notice the striking parallels between the battle waging now for the right to life and the battle for American freedom. In many ways, we are still fighting the same fight that the American revolutionaries were. At great risk and great sacrifice, people around the country are rising up and devoting all their energy to gain the most basic of rights—the right to LIVE. Our founding fathers were doing the same thing: pursuing the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Without the first, no others can follow. The leaders of the pro-life movement understand this, and now its time for the rest of our great nation to understand it and stand up for it. If we will not speak up, who will?


“You will not silence my message. You will not mock my God. You will stop killing my generation.”

No comments: