Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Counseling One-on-One

Even though I have been working with EMC for a few weeks now, I had not had the chance to counsel a women solely by myself until today. During these past few weeks, I had simply sat in with another counselor so I could observe and learn from him/her.

Today, I worked at the 149th and 3rd Avenue center. Sometime in the morning, the center became very busy, and I was asked to counsel a girl because no one else was available. I prayed to the Holy Spirit to guide me as I took the girl in for her consultation, knowing that it was only through Him that a miracle could happen.

Thankfully, the girl was not sure of what to do, compared to the many other girls who are deadset on having an abortion. I guess this was God's way of easing me into the business. I talked with her about her homelife and about her thoughts on abortion. As I talked to her, I couldn't tell if she was actually taking in what I was saying. Finally, we signed her up for a sonagram and she left.

I went on with my day, sitting on many other counseling sessions. At around 3, the center recieved a phone call from the girl I had counseled earlier. She told us how happy she was to see the sonagram and hear her baby's heartbeat. She wanted to come back in and see us.

I was excited to hear this because I had been the main person who had talked to her. I thank God for this awesome experience!

No comments: