Saturday, September 22, 2012

The women need you here to save their lifes

Today I saw a woman in the Bronx office who just wanted to figure out if she was pregnant or not. Before taking the pregnancy test we had a little talk about her situation and the signs that make her think she could be pregnant. She suddenly saw the fetal development books and my table and asked me about the information inside. We talk for a long time about the specific development in every pregnancy week, and I showed her also the real size-babies from 7 upon 30 weeks.



She was excited with all I was telling her, but at the same time she was facing sad for something I didn't know. She has a cute 3 years old son, but she had an abortion some years before.

This woman, as she told me this morning, was conduced as most of the pregnancy women we see every week to have the abortion not because she really wanted but for the social and familiar pressure and the fear about being a single mom.

The conversation with this wonderful woman was the best class of humility, forgiveness and maturity I have ever heard.

As she told me, the months after the abortion were hard moments for her, trying to deal with the decision she already made, but she learned the lesson after that, and never again wanted to have another abortion.

She was completely excited and thankful to EMC for giving her all the information about the baby development, the abortion procedure and the potential complications after that. She said she would never have had and abortion before if she had known our offices, where she has found today someone to talk, express her fears and worries, and someone who supports women more than money of success.

I was completely scared when she told me how she lived her abortion, when she described me the building and the rooms of the abortion clinic, and specially when she confess me what the nurse and doctors of the abortion clinic told her while she was waiting 'her turn'.

I may not write this horrible things, because what I pretend with this testimony is encourage all interns at EMC, presents and futures, to be motivated with the 'work' we do, if we can even call a work, with the help we provide women.

The woman I saw today in the Bronx office is the prove that we need to be there every day, because there are too many women waiting for someone they can talk with, someone that explains them the reality of the abortion procedure, the real potential complications, and specially someone to be with them, give them help, love them.


No comments: