Sunday, September 23, 2012

Counseling also means think


Last weekend we went to visit the Brooklyn Bridge, where we saw a man selling some posters. I founded one very interesting, with this sentence written on it: 'Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups'.

I don't know who said that, but it's exactly what I can see in some on the appointments I have in the Bronx office. One problem is called ignorance, but other different is called be wrong inform.

I have many teenagers asking for Birth Control and abortions though they don't have any idea about how is the procedure or the risks they are choosing. They only know the rumors they listen in Sexual Lesson at the High School, where they learn how to use condoms and prevent pregnancies and STD.

But let me ask you, reader, what do you think this teenagers are going to do after school? Maybe a comparison help. If you want to show young boys how dangerous violence is, I guess you are not show them how to use a gun if you don't want them to try it. The same situation happens with sex. These girls coming to the office are scared because they knew what could happen to them if they have sex with their boyfriends, but the problem is they were also excited about trying all things they learned at school (about condoms, 'love', relationships). They really go home and tell their moms : 'I am having sex with my boyfriend but don't worry, the social worker (o teacher o whoever make this lesson) told us we don't have to worry if we use contraceptives'.

There are many nice places to visit in NYC, but you should not only go there to have fun but also use your mind to realized and think about problem within the society.

No comments: