Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"I have never cried so much in my life."

A young woman I'll call Jane came into the Brooklyn office on Monday undecided about what she wanted to do with her pregnancy. She had had an abortion 2 years earlier, and she absolutely did not want to go through that again, but she also knew that if her family knew she was pregnant they would push her to get another abortion and she didn't know who could help her. She was trying very hard to keep her emotions together, and she actually did a good job even through the sonogram.

There was another young woman there at the office that had also had an abortion about two years ago. She was able to share her story with Jane and that's when her mental guard finally came down and she allowed herself to feel. The young woman asked Jane how she felt right after the abortion, and without any hesitation whatsoever, Jane said "I have never cried so much in my life. It didn't matter what my family had been telling me, I knew deep inside that what I had done was absolutely wrong. It is my only regret in my life."

These two young women continued to share with each other and with Jane's boyfriend and myself. It was another step in the healing process for them and another step in the learning process for me.

No comments: