Saturday, September 22, 2012

Strange Things Overheard On the Sidewalk

Last week, Yesenia and I spent a morning sidewalk counseling at Dr. Emily's in the South Bronx. We were able to talk to several girls, and even some of their boyfriends and one of their mothers! It was actually a pretty busy morning, but the "conversation" that made the biggest impression on me was actually just a comment that was directed toward me by a passerby. Yesenia was a few yards away counseling someone when a woman walked by pushing a stroller. When she got a little past me she said loudly, to no one in particular, "Either these b****** can't get pregnant or no one wants to get them pregnant." And she kept walking. At first all I could do was laugh, because honestly it was pretty hilarious. But then as I thought about it more I couldn't help but think how strange it was that she assumed such an extreme about us just by looking at us for five seconds.

No comments: