Saturday, December 5, 2009

Encouraged to Keep Up the Fight

This past week, I have been counseling women in crisis pregnancy. The first of these was a woman from Santo Domingo. I was assigned to advise her since she did not speak English. At first she was a little hesitant about talking to a man, but gradually a very positive connection was made between us as she grew confident and opened her heart to me.

Her situation was very difficult; she gave birth to a son 6 months ago, and there were a series of medical problems during her pregnancy that nearly caused her to miscarry. She told me with tears in her eyes that she could not have another baby at this time. We talked for a while about the physical, emotional, and spiritual consequences of abortion, and,gradually, she realized that what she was planning to do was not the right answer. Already she was suffering thinking about what she had intended to do, knowing it was against her beliefs. She felt this separated her from the Lord. We spoke about God´s love and mercy, and after our conversation she knew she had to resume her relationship with God, asking His forgiveness.

It was a deeply emotional experience for me when she decided to change her mind and not have an abortion. I felt great inner satisfaction and I am even more encouraged to continue fighting for the unborn and their precious mothers.

No comments: