Friday, December 25, 2009

A Bit of Information Brings Awareness

Last Friday, while witnessing on the street near one of the abortion clinics in the Bronx, I watched as a woman walked uncertainly toward the entrance. Her face was flushed from the cold, and she already wore an expression of grief and loss.

I approached to speak with her. She told me that she was there to get an abortion; she did not know what else she could do since her economic situation was not good, and the father did not want to have the baby. We talked a while and I explained about the risks and consequences of an abortion, what the abortionist would do to her body and her baby. She was surprised and concerned by all physical and psychological risks that could occur; she thought it was “just a simple operation”.

Before she entered the clinic, I offered all the help of our organization and gave her the contact information for our centers. I saw in her eyes that something had changed. She said goodbye tearfully, and I was deeply touched by her emotion. I pray that it was genuine and sustained her in making a decision for life.

No comments: