Saturday, June 6, 2009

Too Many to Kill

It's depressing to be at Dr. Emily's abortion mill on any day, but Saturdays are legendary for their ability to sedate mothers into walking right past the sidewalk counselors without batting an eye.

I was out behind Dr. Emily's, becoming rather discouraged over the sad state of affairs (as of then, no one had really even spoken with me), when I had the opportunity to speak with a couple of young ladies who were heading through the gate. When I asked them why they were at the clinic, the younger woman snapped, "You know I'm here to take this baby out."

I was shocked at her flippancy, and surprised when her friend explained that she already had two little children at home. She firmly believed that she just couldn't handle a third.

Later that morning, as we were packing up to leave, both women came back out. The mother gave me a double thumbs up, a huge smile plastered on her face. After her attitude that morning, I thought she had gotten the abortion and was mocking me. I politely asked why she was so happy, and she responded, "If I had only one baby, he'd be dead; but God blessed me with two."

I was ecstatic. She couldn't come in to our pregnancy centers today, as she had to return to her two little ones at home, but she promised to call me soon to make an appointment.

God works in mysterious ways. This young mother believed the lies around her that three children was too many for her to take care of, and that the 'responsible' thing would be to kill her youngest child to 'take care of' this social problem. Instead of concurring with public opinion, God gave her more than she bargained for: a divine 'vote of confidence' in her abilities as a mother.

After all, God never gives us more than we can handle.

No comments: