Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I Yelled at a Girl

So these two young girls, 17 and 18, come into our Fordham and Jerome office. I was there by myself and filled out an intake form on the 17-year-old girl who was pregnant. Her situation wasn't particularly difficult, she was graduating in a week and didn't really have plans for college. But she really wanted an abortion. When I asked "Why?" she said "Because I want to party, you know? I'm young!"

So I yelled at her and said, "Hunny. Grow up!"

And then it got all awkward and quiet, but her friend was nodding her head in approval. I popped in the abortion procedures video and they were squirming throughout the whole thing. When it was almost finished, the 17-year-old girl said, "Hey Mister, I don't want to do that anymore." So I stopped the video and they started talking about raising the baby. She was all concerned about prenatal pills and what she should eat to make sure the baby was ok. Which was sweet but also a little wierd because just a minute before she was so casual about "killing it" (in her own words).

Bottom line I guess is that most of these girls are just too immature for pregnancy. So I've been making sure to get them to think about marriage and abstaining from sex until then. So many problems and so little time with these girls. It's great to be able to save a baby's life in the meantime though.

No comments: