Saturday, March 10, 2012

What is a person?

Her sign said that pro-lifers were a public health threat.  Of all the silly things that their posters ranted about, this was the most interesting to me.  I had earned the equivalent of a Minor in Health Promotions, and had some experience putting it to good use in a developing country.  I mentioned to her that I had a concentration in Health Promotions, just to let her know that I, for one, actually do care about the health of the public.  Later, she stated that she had earned a Master's Degree from Columbia in Health Promotions, and that she had worked with an organization in Bolivia that performed illegal, and by her own admission, unsafe, abortions.  

Her words reminded me that Margaret Sanger had promoted what are now called, "coat-hangar abortions," many decades before abortions were legal, or foolishly considered safe by any sizable sector of the medical community.  I say that knowing that as books have been written describing the doctors of the Third Reich, books have been written, and will be written, describing American abortionists. 

Now back to her words, and our discussion.  She had claimed to have a Master's Degree in Health Promotions.  If this was true, and not merely an attempt to claim to have more education than I in a subject that I only earned 15 or 18 undergraduate hours in, then perhaps she would be capable of having an educated discussion with me about public health.  She might even be able to educate me in some way.  She had already brought to my attention what I have no reason to question, but only to verify, that abortion is illegal in Bolivia.  I hadn't known that.

Much of our discussion seemed to hinge upon what she considered to be a difference of opinion concerning when life begins, so I asked her to define the term, "Person."  Her first response showed that she was thinking too much about where her answer might land her, because her answer revolved around when she thought a person's life first had value, and she used the word, "Baby."  When she had finished answering the question that I hadn't asked, I pointed out that earlier, she had expressed a desire to use more specific terms, and not use the relative word, "Baby."  It isn't everyday that I get to discuss these things with a pro-abort who can even come across as being that intelligent, so I eagerly agreed not to use such subjective terms, either.

To help her define the term, "Person," in greater detail, I asked her what genus-species a person is.  She couldn't answer.  Thinking that perhaps she was just having what I'll call a brain-freeze, I helped her out, saying, "So a person is a homo sapiens, right?"  Instead of agreeing, she asked if that was the genus or the species. 

Later, a man who is also genuinely whole-life reminded me that the sad part is that many individuals who favor abortion actually believe that abortion on demand is, or at least can be, a good thing.  Without a foundational understanding of the basics, like what a person is, it must be very difficult to distinguish the truth from a lie.


No comments: