Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Woman's Strength

I counseled girls at our crisis pregnancy in the Bronx this past Thursday. Around noon, we got really busy with clients coming in. At one point I was counseling 2 girls in a room while I would run out and try to counsel the woman at the front with her baby, at least until another counselor could step in a help.

I am so glad I did.

The woman who waited patiently in our lobby room is 17 weeks pregnant. She has not had a sonogram or any prenatal care. Her husband lost his job and they are currently homeless. She is such a tenderhearted woman and doesn't believe in abortion.

I have had many clients in her situation justify getting the abortion because "it's just too hard". But this woman did not have that mentality at all whatsoever. I could tell she was very overwhelmed but was choosing to stay strong. It was inspiring to me.

The director referred her to Coalition of the Homeless and we were able to get her on the train to Brooklyn just in time for her to get a sonogram as well as to meet our director there. We are going to give her sonograms up until the point of birth along with prenatal care. We are also helping her and her family with housing.

She was able to stay strong just long enough for help to arrive. Praise God for his grace to allow places like Expectant Mother Care to exist. Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Abby, you're a strong woman.