Saturday, April 23, 2011

Universal Lifesaving Skills

Today I worked at our center in Queens where I counsel girls who are pregnant, or think they might be pregnant. I never know what to expect or who might walk through the door.

Perfect example would be today. I am thankful to have life saving skills on pool decks as well as crisis pregnancy centers!

First a girl came in and told us that she was waiting for her friend to arrive. She kept asking us questions about our services and seemed very uneasy. Initially, I thought she wanted the abortion for her friend.

Finally the client arrives. I see her through the little window on our door. She is crying. I open the door, where she proceeds to literally stumble through. She is unable to focus her eyes. She is holding her stomach. She looks like she is about to faint.

The first thing I think to say to her is, "Sweetie are you ok?" She responds, "I'm having a lot of pain". I said, "Well here. Sit down. You look like you're about to pass out. Do you feel like you're going to pass out?" She says, "Yes".

In my Lifeguarding certification, they trained us to perform CPR if the victim is not breathing while unconscious; and to perform "Rescue Breathing" if the victim is breathing, but unconscious. For both, however, call 911 immediately.

Everything was happening so quickly. They started to leave, but the client fell to the floor.

That's when I asked if I could call 911. Both of the girls said yes. I stayed on the line with EMS, told them the address, the symptoms of the client, and what I should do. They came in less than 5 minutes.

My lifeguarding skills kicked in!

You are supposed to talk to the victim about pleasant subjects in attempts to keep them calm. It was essential during this crisis because the girl was telling me about how much she hated the father of her child. I took charge, "You cannot think about that right now. All you need to focus on right now is the health of your body. That's it". She shook her head "yes" in agreement to what I was saying. And so did her friend.

Please pray for this girl. She does not want to get an abortion. She knows we can and will help her choose life for her unborn baby.

I am just so glad that I had my

'life saving training'

to call on when needed.

No comments: