Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sidewalk Counseling in SPANGLISH!

I stood waiting and praying, periodically stepping into the sunlight to warm my frozen hands. It was Tuesday morning, and I was on the sidewalk outside of Dr. Emily's Abortion Clinic. I was there to offer options to the women going in. The last line of defense against the pain that would later come from the death of their children.

I focused on my prayers as the smooth beads glided through my gloved hands. The wInd beat against my face. I almost didn't see the taxi pull up. The door opened and a nervous couple stepped out.

"Good morning Mami, can I give you some information? This is real help for you!"

She looked puzzled.

"Spanish?" she asked.

"Oh no! What am I going to do? I don't speak Spanish! If only Julie were here!" I thought to myself.
"Ay, lo siento! Mi espanol es muy mal! Yo no soy latina" I told her, as I am often mistaken for Latin American.

"No?"

"No! Mi madre es negra y mi padre es irelandes! Yo soy Californian!"

"Oh!"

"Are you Mexican?"

"Si."

"Ah! Mi premara amiga, no me amiga en Christo es mexicana de Oaxaca! She makes me salsa verde!"

"Hahahaa"

"Mami, Tu embarazada?"

"Si."
She didn't look happy.


"Tu quedes aborto?"

"Si."

"Tu habla ingles?"

"No."

"Y tu?"
I said turning to her boyfriend.

"Muy poquito." he said.

"Un momento! Mi amiga hablar espanol! Hello julie! I'm with a spanish speaking couple. Will you talk to her?"


I handed Mom the phone. They spoke for a few minuets and then the call was lost! What a time to drop a call!


I turned to her, "Mami I can help you. You don't need to do this. Tu no nessicitas! I can help. Tu es un madre! Tell her please. I work for a pregnancy center."

He didn't say much. I looked at her.

"Tu Catholica?"

"Si."

"Me too!"
I said holding up my rosary!

I pointed to the clinic.
"Esta clinica de muerte! Casa de muerte! Es muy mal, muy mal! Papi, why do you want to do this? I can help you. You don't have to do this"

He shrugged.

"So many women are sad after their abortions. They cry a lot and have depression. Tu no quedes!"

"Mami, tu tiernes babes?"

"Si."

Quantos? How many?"

"Tres."

I pointed to her belly.
"No quatro! Ay! Esta hermano parra tu bebes! If you asked tu bebes, quedes aborto? They will say 'No Mami! No! Y el bebe ( I pointed to her stomach) quedes aborto? No Mami, no! Tu es un madre! Tu no nessicitas!"

I turned to him.
"There is a Mexican saying. 'If one can eat two an eat, if two can eat three can eat, if tree can eat four can eat, if four can eat five can eat. This is not macho! Tu es un padre! Padre es muy fuerte! You need to protect your baby! This is your family! Muy fuerte!"

"Sorry, sorry." she said and they walked into the clinic.

I told myself that I tried, I began to pray again. Later that morning as I sat in White Castle taking a quick break from the cold, I received a phone call from Julie. She had spoken with them as they exited the clinic, Mom hadn't done it! She was still pregnant! Everywhere they went, they had been told that they should keep. Support was given where support was needed! All I can say is that I'm so happy my very, very elementary Spanish err Spanglish came in handy!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Heather, Hola.

Tu Spanglish no es perfecto pero su corazon es grande y tu habla la lingua de amor de Dios que es perfecto.

Unknown said...

Amazing!!! You really know what to say!

Laurel said...

It is amazing what you can do with just a little knowledge of a language and tons of GRACE! ;)