Thursday, February 11, 2010

Life in New York


My first week as an intern has been quite an experience. It is quite a change from my normal routine to work and live in New York City. On top of that, this week we had a blizzard come through to make our Wednesday interesting. No day has been the same so far, there is excitement in that. I never know when I wake up exactly what I'll be doing or who I will be meeting that day.


Flying into town, the city at first appears to be a massive anthill of activity, the impersonal mass of brown, grey, and black (and sometimes green) seems so harsh and massive. Now, on the ground, the Bronx is quite different. There are neighborhoods, people going about their work, laughter, and all the other aspects of life. That is what this internship is about, after all, life. Sadly, there is also death here. Thousands of children will never experience the joy of seeing this borough covered with snow glistening in the morning sun or find out how much fun it is to try and keep a sidewalk clear of snow during a blizzard.

While it is a sad reality that not all of these children will be saved, that does not diminish the value of the work that can be done. Their mothers come in scared, more scared than I can even imagine. The personal toll and reality of the abortion industry is beginning to hit home. I look forward to the challenges that this internship offers and hope to make a difference, even if it is a small one in this massive flood of death, while I am at the Lifehouse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God bless you as you begin the journey of a lifetime!