Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Save at Dr. Emily's



On Wednesday I stood outside of Dr. Emily's abortion clinic in the Bronx,NY where I started at the front entrance, then worked my way to the back a few hours later. While I was at the front, I had the opportunity to talk with a girl about to go in with her boyfriend. I told her what our center does and how we can help. I talked briefly about her baby having a heartbeat at week 3 and how it has all his/her organs complete at 8 weeks. After all of that I gave her one of our pamphlets. She went inside.
About 2 hours later, I was at the back, and she came out with her boyfriend. As they were approaching the gate I said, "did you change your mind?" She said, "yeah.......I did." I didn't believe her. So I asked the boyfriend, "what happened?" He said, "I don't know. This is all her business, not mine." I said, "Yeah right! This is just as much your business as it is hers." She said, "that's right." So she agreed with me. I said, "if it weren't for you, this (and I pointed to her stomach) would never have happened" She said, "that's right", again. Then I said, "so what did you do? You get the pill? (abortion pill) She said to me, "No. I told you . I didn't do it."
I looked back at the boyfriend and said, "is she tellin me the truth?" He said, "yeah she is". I said to her, "what made you change your mind?" She said to me, "that paper." I said "what paper?" She said, "that blue paper you gave me before I came in. I read it. It's horrible. Abortion's horrible. I couldn't do it."
I WAS STOKED!!! It was almost too good to be true. I got her number and we have already spoken on the phone and set her up for a sonogram.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I'm so glad to read that! This is an amazing blog. Thank you for the important work you do.