Monday, February 1, 2010

Pressure to Abort part I


I was standing on the cold sidewalk outside of Dr. Emilies Abortion Clinic in the South Bronx. A girl in her mid teens and her mother approached. "Are you going to the Doctor today?" I said. She stopped and we talked. "Are you pregnant? You are! Wow! How far along are you?" As we spoke it was very clear that her mother wanted her to enter the clinic, but there was something in this young girls eyes. "Do you want the abortion Mami?" "No, but everyone is telling me I have to, and my boyfriend says his mom will kick him out if I don't." "Who else is telling you that you have to do this?" My mom and my sister." She said as she cried. "Do you need a hug?" I said, and more tears filled her eyes, we embraced. "Mami," I whispered in her ear, "that's what you are, you are a mother, and you don't have to do this, this is your child and I know you want to protect it." She glanced at her mother who was looking more and more inpatient by the minute. "You don't have to go in there." I said "Just walk away, come with me to the pregnancy center where I work. I can help you."


To be continued....

No comments: