Sunday, February 7, 2010

....." for the least of these, you did for ME. "

Friday I was at the EMC in Brooklyn with Linda. I had stood outside of Dr. Emily's abortion clinic for 4 hrs earlier that day. By the time I got to Brooklyn I was working on paper work Linda had for me to do. It was later in the afternoon and she was just taking in walk ins. Towards the end of the afternoon, the 2 of us were just wrapping things up, when we had an unexpected couple come to our door.
They had been married for 1 year. She was almost 5 months pregnant. He originally had a job with one of his relatives, but the relative decided to abruptly leave him with unemployment at the last minute. Basically was very shady and threw him out on the street. So now, he has no income, no job, along with a 5 month pregnant wife with no food for either of them.
That was the reason they came to see Linda. They had heard that our Center provided help for women in need and that were pregnant. They came to the right place!
Linda grabbed her coat, made a few phone calls, left me instructions to stay there and answer the phone, and was out the door with the couple, headed to the Food Pantry around the corner. Before they left I reached into my bookbag to see if I had anything to offer them, and all I had was a Fiber One bar, but she took it. She took it so gratefully.
They were a perfectly normal couple. He had a college degree and has a lot to offer. His situation could happen to anybody, at anytime, anywhere in the world. They were humble enough to ask for help.
All of a sudden, I literally felt like Jesus Christ himself was IN THE ROOM. I felt his presence. "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'"
WOW.
It moved me to tears. Literally. I was so excited I called my mom in North Carolina and told her the whole story.
Jesus' presence was there. He was there in the midst of what Linda and I were doing.
Praise be to God. Praise and glory be to God. Forever.

No comments: