Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Final Reflections


As I conclude my time (at least for this visit) at the Lifehouse and at EMC, it really is amazing what I've done while I have been here.

The internship is truly a unique learning experience. Living and working in the Bronx is unlike anywhere else I have lived or worked. Oddly enough, even as a Southerner and agrarian at heart, I will miss the Bronx. It's a very special place and it has been wonderful to try and save the babies of this area.

Best of all, I've met some wonderful people, both at EMC, with the various Catholic agencies that work with us, and the people who support us with kind words and hugs from the neighborhood. There is nothing that improves a hard morning of sidewalk counseling quite like the grandmotherly woman who walks by and gives everyone a hug or a man walking to the store who stops and tells you how good it is to be out doing what we do.

Within the centers, it's been quite an experience as well. This is not a cake walk. The women who come in are each individuals, they are quite often very difficult cases and tend to think that they are set on an abortion.

Each woman is different. What works with one may not phase another. Yesterday, a woman broke down in tears just because she held a model of what her baby would look like. Other women think it's all a game. There can be no one-size-fits all strategy here. It's a very difficult skill to learn, but I hope I've picked it up somewhat.

My time here has been a very informative and challenging time, but I've also enjoyed it. There is no better feeling in the world than seeing a woman decide to keep her child and be at peace with her decision. For the opportunity to experience this I am very grateful.

No comments: