Tuesday, November 24, 2009

What a day!!

Today was very busy at Dr. Emily´s abortion office in the Bronx, and we were short one helper. There were just 3 of us to be there for the women: two at the front door and me at the backdoor, alone.

Thirty girls went into the abortion clinic today!! You’ve got to be paying attention 200% to every girl that comes along next. We felt as if someone had thrown five balls at one time and we had to catch them all. There were times I had to watch a girl pass by on her way into the clinic as I spoke with another one.

But wait, this is not a bad story. I don’t know how, but at the end of the day, there had been five women who made a choice for life! FIVE! We couldn’t believe it. I said to Julie, one of the other counselors, “What did you say? That girl leaving is not having an abortion.” and she said, “Nothing, I just handed her a brochure as she passed by.” And then Julie asked me, “what about her? she just told me that she is keeping her baby, too!” I replied, “Well, I talked with her, but I thought for sure she was having the abortion…”

So there were we, amazed, trying to understand why these girls today were keeping their babies.

What I learned from this experience is that one word, helped by prayer, will make a difference in the life of a young woman, if you have faith and don't give up.

We will be there for the women every morning; please be there for us in your prayers.

No comments: