Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Standing in the Face of Adversity

I saw her exit the abortion clinic through the back door; she was perhaps 16 or 17 years old. I motioned for her to come over to talk. She left her mother´s side and approached me. I asked if she would like to keep her baby. She replied, "Yeah; the problem is it´s (the baby) my cousin´s." The look on her face told me that she really wanted the baby. She went back to her mother who was standing with a couple. I could see them trying to persuade her to go back into the abortion place, but she -I'll call her "Rosa" - was refusing to budge.

After a good half hour of their taking turns trying to convince her, a car suddenly pulled into the lot and a couple got out and headed toward the small group. I waved and they came over to see me, but as soon as they realized I was a "pro-lifer", the man stalked off saying, "I'll take care of this!" He grabbed Rosa by the arm and started dragging her toward the clinic door. Meanwhile, the woman was telling me she was the aunt and had come to "save Rosa from her mother", but I knew she was lying and also thought the girl should terminate the new life growing within her.

Rosa was able to pull free of the man´s grasp and retreated. At this point, he decided on a different approach, gently touching her arm and trying to coax her into the clinic. Rosa stood, looking down, arms folded, as if hugging herself, and shook her head "No". Then the adults, in between hurling insults at me, started on her again; all the while Rosa was crying, yet somehow fighting off their attempts to weaken her resolve. Eventually, they all left.

I do not know what will happen to Rosa and her unborn baby, she may in the end give way under such unrelenting pressure; I can only pray for her now. But I was deeply touched by this immense display of courage from such a young woman. This is the heart of true motherly love, that, whatever the circumstances or difficulties, she stands strong and defends her child, not considering the sacrifice or struggle involved.

No comments: