Thursday, November 26, 2009

Pressured by her Boyfriend to Abort

The morning air was filled with mist and fog. Girl after girl walked right past me ignoring my offers of help. I turned around and there she was, I didn´t even see her get out of the cab.

I introduced myself and asked her if she had an appointment for an abortion. She said she didn´t, but that she was 5 months pregnant and didn´t want the baby. She already had one at home. I asked her if she really wanted to have an abortion, and that´s when she told me that her boyfriend was the one that wanted her to get it. She didn´t know much about the surgery so I started to tell her about it. At 5 months the likely procedure was a Dilation and Evacuation. She was unaware that this meant that her tiny child would be dismembered, literally torn limb from limb inside her womb.

As I told her about Post Abortion Syndrome she seemed all to familiar with the symptoms. I knew that if I didn´t address her past abortion, than I would lose her. ¨Did you have an abortion before?¨ ¨Yes.¨ she said. ¨How did you feel afterwards?¨ I asked, ¨Sad, depressed…¨ she said as tears filled her eyes. We hugged. ¨You don´t want to feel that way again!¨ ¨I know, I know. But it´s the only way, I have no choice. I almost aborted my son too. I didn´t want to, but my boyfriend was pressuring me.¨ She said that she lied and told him she had the abortion. She carried her son to term. In the beginning he wasn´t happy about it, but he loved his son.

Now she was pregnant again and faced with the same situation, but this time she had me on her side. We talked for many hours and I offered time and time again for her to accompany me to our nearby Crisis Pregnancy Center. She didnt want to come, so in the end I treated her lunch at a nearby pizza place and we came up with a plan. She would bring her boyfriend into our center in about a week to meet with me and I would let him know exactly what he wanted his girlfriend to do. If he really loved her than there would be no way that he would ask her to go through with the abortion. We wanted him to know the risks and complications involved, as well as some simple facts about fetal development. She and I exchanged phone numbers and it is my hope that I can help her to regain her power and self confidence so that never again will she be willing to go through such an ordeal just because someone else wants her to. Pray for this young family please.

No comments: