Friday, November 6, 2009

My First Day on the Sidewalk

My name is Tomás, I am from Bilbao (Northern region of Spain, the Basque country). I came to New York City on Monday with my friend Javier, who was here two years ago. Tuesday was my first day volunteering with EMC. I arrived outside the clinic early in the morning and I didn’t know what to say, what to do, how to react. I felt helpless watching girls going inside to get an abortion; it touched me deeply. But the idea that their babies were not going to have a chance to live freaked me out, so I had to do something. There was one guy, whose girlfriend was aborting, but I waited with him outside, talking. After a while he told me that they won’t abort the next child (we all hope so). That was what I wanted to hear, that he is thinking differently, so in the future we won’t need to talk to him, he will be a father, he will be a daddy to his children.

1 comment:

EMC Frontline said...

Tom is a great guy who has come with Javier, a returning Spanish intern, to work for three months with EMC staff and other interns in the Abortion Capital of America!

Already he has been a great help!

I appreciate that not only has he taken to the work of crisis counseling, but even helped us clear out debris (from the previous tenant) from what will be a brand new four room office for us, in Jackson Heights Queens!