Thursday, September 15, 2011

The abortion pill is not an easier version of a regular abortion

Like many abortion clinics these days, Dr Emily - the one that we at EMC sidewalk counsel at, also provides the abortion pill. I recently had the opportunity to speak to a woman who was trying to obtain the pill from the clinic.

While we were speaking I was talking about the similarities and differences between the surgical and chemical procedures. Clearly she came to believe that the pill would be easier for her than the surgery, however, in my experience, almost everyone who has done both says the pill is worse.

On average, women bleed more, experience a very painful drawn out agony (could last for weeks), and in many cases are confronted with the corpse of their own baby after they 'miscarry'- either on the bed or the toilet or whatever.

She knew she was on the threshold of being too far to get the pill - in fact she was already turned away from another clinic, she was hoping Dr. Emily would give her the drugs. And I think they would have - when I spoke to her she already had filled out much the paperwork.

So as we were speaking we were walking to her car and I was getting to know her situation in an attempt to offer help when, to my surprise, the car she was driving was a BMW.

Now I'm not saying she was being selfish - in fact I came to find out she worked very hard for that car, but I just offer this because it reinforced the realization for me that any sacrifices that a girl must make for her children could be seen as some sort of undue burden. Indeed, even a millionaire would have to compromise the lifestyle they're accustomed to, to an extent, in order to raise children.

Luckily, this girl did not end up getting an abortion that day, but the experience provided me with more of an insight into women in crisis pregnancies, as well as opportunity to educate somebody about a drug that is very, very bad.

No comments: