Thursday, September 22, 2011

Abortion is Not for Her


It's interesting to be a 3rd objective party seeing the decisions a woman is about to make that will change her life forever.

In my mind, her rationalizations do not make sense. The reasoning behind her decision to get an abortion, after she has already had 2 children- ages 10 and 1- is confusing to me.

My client I had yesterday at our Manhattan office is in her late 20's, has a great job, is in a healthy relationship with her boyfriend, and loves her 2 children very much. So the thoughts running through my head when I first learn that she is highly considering an abortion are mainly thoughts with lack of understanding.

One of her biggest concerns is that she fears she will not be able to buy the things the baby needs as well as the luxurious things she wants to buy for herself and her boyfriend. She says, "I don't want to be struggling".

I can see how the situation will be difficult to adjust to at first because babies are expensive, but this woman has already gone through this with 2 other children. She has already had a taste for what it's like receiving one of the greatest gifts in the world.

It is now MY job to knock sense into her. I kept telling her , "At the end of the day, it's your choice honey. But I do want to take the time right now to point out the obvious"..... From there I discussed and listed things she loved about her children that she expressed to me. I brought up the fact that she regretted her last abortion (she got a year ago). I asked her if this would be a decision she could live with. I told her we will help her in any way that we can. I told her she has my support in keeping this baby.

She left my office undecided. I scheduled her a sonogram this Saturday that she agreed to come to. Please pray for her. Her head was down almost the entire time of the discussion. It is clear she does NOT want to do this, but for some reason she feels like she has to.

No comments: