Monday, February 21, 2011

Sidewalk Counseling Can Be Simple

Some days sidewalk counseling can be one of the most excruciating things emotionally, physically, and spiritually. Many offers to give women free help are ignored, and many requests to only speak with them for a minute are denied.

One could probably expect those sorts of difficulties coming into counseling, but happily, many people don't realize that in some instances, the sidewalk can be relatively simple and easy.

One woman came out the back door of an abortion clinic and after we made eye contact I asked her if she could talk for a minute - she quickly said yes. Then, sensing a positive disposition I simply asked her if she wanted a free sonogram - she said yes.

After her ultrasound I took her to Popeye's across the street and we chatted some more. I just kept thinking to myself that literally anyone could have done what I just did - regardless of talent, education, age, or race. She did end up deciding to keep her baby after her sonogram and the lunch (she came out of the clinic initially because they didn't accept her insurance), but what if nobody was there to talk to her as she left the clinic?

And anyone can do it.

Too often I think pro-lifers will be worried about what will happen to them if they do something, but I think this story shows us what we should really be worried about - what will happen if we do nothing.

1 comment:

not a minx, a moron, or a parasite said...

Powerful stuff. Thanks for the sacrifice you make being out there!