Monday, March 1, 2010

They didn't tell her


I was working at the center in Queens today and had the opportunity to talk with this young lady in her 20's about possibly getting an abortion. She has already had an abortion before. I asked her what it was like after the abortion. She said "it was awful. I was in physical pain to the point where I had to leave work and go home because my stomach hurt so bad." I asked her how it was emotionally. She said, "I was so mad at myself. I don't know why I did it....so now I think that since I got pregnant again, it's meant to be."
So, I told her that even though she was telling me that she did not want to get the abortion, because abortion is in her past, she needed to watch the video. So I had her watch Abortion Procedures video. I asked her what she thought about the video. She said that there were so many things she learned that she didn't know before. I said, "but you had this done to YOUR body!" She said, "I know but......it's my fault.......but they didn't tell me...." They didn't tell her.
Even though she should have researched it herself, the abortion clinic that she went to, Planned Parenthood, didn't explain to her what the procedure was.
I got her number, and she seemed excited about keeping in touch. We also set her up for a sonogram in Brooklyn with Linda because with her work schedule Mondays works best. Her boyfriend is also excited about this baby.

No comments: