Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Abstinence is Best


I worked at the center in Queens today with Carmen. I met with a girl in her late 20's who came to see if she was pregnant. But she got what I was saying to her. She had already got 2 abortions before in the past. She said they were awful, especially the second one. I had her fill out the form we give the girls. I asked her if she was religious at all. She said she was Christian. I asked her if she believed in everything in the Bible. She said she did. I said, "what about the verse that says to abstain from sexual immorality?" she said, ".......y e a h...............". And put her head down in shame. I said, "well, the past is the past. There is nothing you and I can do about it now. What God cares about is the now. What are you going to do now and for the future? Scripture says, 'man looketh at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart'. And that is what He is more concerned with". She put her head back up in a hopeful gesture to say to me, "I know. I know I should not be havin sex. " I said to her, "it's not cause God wants to give you a bunch of rules. It's for your better good. And for my better good. I am 24 years old, and even if I was in love with someone, I still have no business having sex cause do you see a ring on this finger?" And I pointed to my ring finger on my left hand. She said, "no". I said, "and neither do you!"
We both laughed. But she got what I was saying to her. She got her own convictions, on her own. Well, the holy spirit was definitely there!
We gave her a sonogram, but didn't find anything. So she is either barely pregnant or not pregnant at all. I still showed her the Abortion Procedure video, which really made her turned off to abortion even more than she already was. So along with that, and the successful abstinence talk, I'd say this girl is in much better shape!

No comments: