Monday, March 1, 2010

Perfect timing

Heather was subbing for Linda at her office in Brooklyn on Friday when a Spanish speaking woman called. Heather only speaks a little Spanish so she referred her to me. I spoke a while with Sofia and realized that there was no way she would be able to make it in during normal office hours. She works 6 days a week and gets out very late! l would be working the next day in the Bronx so something in my heart told me to offer her the opportunity to come in after hours Saturday night.
Later that night (Friday) Sofia called to confirm her appointment. We spoke for more than an hour, I asked her how she felt about abortion and her unborn child and she began to cry. It was very hard for her to imagine having an abortion because in Guatemala she used to counsel friends and co-workers against it. But at the same time she was here in the U.S. to work, she explained, because she like many other immigrants came to send money home to her children and family, not to have more children. I asked her how her boyfriend felt and she began to cry again..."He doesn't want me to do it", she weaped. After Sofia had relaxed a little I suggested we just go ahead and meet the following day, together with her boyfriend Wilson in the Bronx when she finish work.
They called at 630 from Brooklyn to let me know they were on their way but once in the Bronx they got lost for more than a half hour in the ice cold! I was a little worried but put my faith in God that they would find me and they did....Wilson waited in the waiting room while Sofia and I spoke for a long time. She told me that she had done a lot of thinking after our conversation and after connecting a lot with each other (I went to Spanish language school in the city next to where she is from), Sofia decided to choose life for her baby!! Wilson of course was elated and now Sofia and I text frequently:
"Hi my little angel how're you? I hope well, I just want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything you do for us, I love you so much and I know one day God will pay you back with good for all the good you've done for us. My boyfriend and I can't wait for the arrival of our baby. May God Bless you"--Sofia
"Thank you Sofia for having such a soft heart towards God. You may not realize it but you and Wilson are a huge blessing in my life as well. I look forward to being there for you in the future, please let me know what I can do for you, Wilson and your baby. I AM the Tia (Auntie) after all".--Julie

No comments: