Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Obligation


Last Wednesday I was working in front of Emily's abortion clinic, in the Bronx. I was surprised when the security guard approached me to chat. I see him weekly and he doesn't show great sympathy on me. We spoke for 2 minutes about the Football Club Barcelona (it often happens when you are living in the city where the best soccer team in the world plays) and for 20 minutes about abortion. Before we had that conversation, every time I saw him I thought that he may not had that many opportunities in his life and needed to work there for the salary despite the activities of the clinic. Terrible mistake.

He explained me that he was a volunteer in the clinic and that he didn't earn money by doing this. He worked there because he believed in abortion on women as a right. I wonder if it's true information but is not relevant. He argued his views saying that when abortion was illegal women practiced it in their homes, killing the babies and being exposed to death too. He also said that an unwanted children condemned women.

I answered him exposing all my believes and left him with no arguments. It was a peaceful conversation and there was no disrespect with each other. I was more aware than ever of the importance of looking at the face of God instead of giving Him the back. People are forgetting the importance of life and society is becoming selfish and without values.

Nowadays they don't easily show you the importance of human life and the real way to love others, the opposite. Since I had been showed all of this I feel obligated to help others as others helped me, it's an obligation for all catholic.

No comments: