Wednesday, May 26, 2010

One Love


Something you learn fast here working at EMC is that there is no prototype counselor. There is no “right way” to counsel a woman. Of course, there are things every counselor should know how to do or know not to do. But, each counselor has been blessed by God with his or her own unique way to reach women.
At the Bronx center I watched Liz enact some tough love, and it was successful. I saw Veronica play the role of the encourager and empower her clients. At Dr. Emily’s I witnessed Julie compassionately reaching out to women as they exited the abortion mill. I saw Mary relentlessly trying to reach women and men from her side of the fence.
One characteristic they share, along with the rest of the EMC staff, is love. Love for God. Love for women. Love for babies. Love for families. Love for happy endings.
And, that is why the abortion mills fear us and put up signs like the one next to Mary in this picture. They know how powerful love can be and they try tirelessly to shut it out. But, have they figured out yet just how powerful love can be when it’s one love? One love between dedicated people for God and for life.
As I begin to develop my own counseling style, I feel so blessed to be around such wonderful people to learn from and love with.

No comments: