Wednesday, May 26, 2010

First Day Side Walk Counseling!


We quickly decide that I am to stay in the front of the abortion clinic near the van holding the saving grace sonogram. I am pleased with this spot since I can skip the one liner’s and just say free sonogram for your baby and point in the direction of the van and pray that they see the same gift that I see when I look at an ultrasound. The first couple of girls that I tried to stop to hand them a pamphlet of all the resources that we could offer them, just shunned me away and told me to not give them a speech. I immediately withdrew and felt as if I was very ineffective at saving babies. When I saw how Julie handled the women and how she looked at them with caring and loving eyes, but yet was forceful with them. I realized I needed to be the same way; I simply needed to be honest with these women. I needed to tell them the truth of what was going to happen to their lives after the abortion. Soon after this thought a girl whom looked lost looked up at the sign that reads Dr.Emily’s, and starts to walk in. I quickly run up and say, "hey, can I offer you some information and hand her the pamphlet." I know this is not enough since she will probably throw it away. She says,” yes I am here to terminate my pregnancy.” I told her that we offered free sonograms over there in the white van, and she looked nervous and said oh no I made up my mind. I explained that we are here to help her and she does not have to do this. She told me that she had to because she had no means to care for her child. I told her if our resources were not enough she could always choose adoption and she said, “Why would I do that, when I get rid of it now”. I yelled out at her and said, "because your baby wants to live." She closed it with, “I guess you’re right.” She continued on her way inside the abortion clinic. It broke my heart, and I kept wondering if I should have said something else. I just prayed and prayed that she would walk out the back door and not do it. I still wonder what she decided, and I pray my words burrowed a hole in her mind that day. Although it is not certain what this particular woman decided, there were so many other lives we saved that day. (Seven babies to be precise) If I had room I would tell you about them all. But what everyone should know is when you see an abortion minded woman see her baby on the ultrasound and she starts to cry and says she wants to keep her baby, nothing is more exciting! In just a few months there will be a little baby roaming around New York that would not have been there if we did not stop the young woman from opening those doors.

No comments: