Wednesday, May 26, 2010

In the Master's Hands


I arrived in New York City not knowing what to expect. Frontlines pro life work was very new to me. I admit I was scared. My first day out in the city I watched and listened to the wonderful counselors and their obvious zeal combined with the most Godly compassion gave me peace about this internship and an instant drive to reach beyond myself to touch the women and men who are in contact with EMC.

This past Sunday was Pentecost and I was amazed at how the fire of action at EMC echoes that of the Holy Spirit so long ago. God has blessed EMC with interns from all over the country and the world. He will continue to bless us with words of truth that are bewildering to the culture of death, but inspiring.

At Church, the priest told a story of a little boy at a famous pianist's concert who snuck to the stage and when the lights came up, plinked the simple, pleasant melody of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" on the keyboard. His mother was frantic, but the pianist came up next to the boy and told him to keep playing. He placed his fingers on the keyboard next to the boy's and began to play. Then he reached around him with the other hand and played on the lower keys, creating such peaceful and beautiful music.

Some of my first experiences at EMC were not entirely comfortable. Counseling a woman more than twice my age was difficult, and though she decided to keep her baby (praise God!), I felt that I said everything the wrong way. Discussing chastity with a young girl was less difficult, but still, I wished later that I had said more. But God works in the most mysterious of ways. Maybe to these women so starved of truth, my elementary, simple, but sincere efforts will be beautiful music with the hands of the Master around this cause for his most abused children. His hands are clearly around this organization. The babies allowed to continue in life and the mothers and fathers who are spared from the pain of abortion are God's beautiful music he makes through the people at EMC that He blesses with His fire.

No comments: