Thursday, March 6, 2014

INTIMATE PARTNER VIOLENCE: WHAT IS IT/WHAT CAN I DO?

What is IPV? Is recognized as a complex process where in women feel high levels of vulnerability, powerlessness and coercion as a result of her partner´s systematic employment of physical, sexual, psychological and/or moral force.
Violence not only causes physical injury but also injured the social, psychological, spiritual and emotional well-being of the victim.
Each year in USA, IPV results in an estimated 1200 deaths and 2 million injuries among women (Black&Breiding 2005).
Pregnancy is a very vulnerable time for women in abusive relationships as the violence often begins or escalates during this time.



How common is pressure to abort? Pressure to abort can take a wide range of forms. The most common responses of women are:
-          My partner told me the decision was mine, but I knew he wanted me to terminate.
-          I aborted my child, because I knew my partner wanted me to.
-          I did not want to put my partner through a pregnancy he was not ready to deal with.
-          My partner said if I carried to term, he would not take an active role in the child´s life.
-          My partner influenced me to abort by using logical arguments such as Wouldn´t it be better to wait and have a baby when we´re really ready and able to love our child?
-          I aborted my child because I was afraid I would lose my partner if I did not.
-          My partner was furious about the pregnancy and said I had no choice but to abort.
-          My partner said he would physically hurt me if I did not terminate my pregnancy.
There is a strong necessity of effective IVP screening from the victims and from the health-care providers, who are likely to be the first professional contact for the victims.
In case you are thinking you could be a victim of violence, please, ask yourself “the SAFE QUESTIONS”, and keep in touch with a professional who can help you.



The SAFE questions:
-          S: Stress and safety: do you feel safe in your relationship?
-          A: Afraid or abused: has your partner ever threatened/abused you or your children?
-          F: Friends and family: if you were hurt, would your friends or family know? Would they be able to help you?
-          E: Emergency plan: do you have a safe place to go in an emergency? Do you need help in locating a shelter? Would you like to talk to a counselor about this?

We care about you, we can help you. 

No comments: