Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Bronx Story

In my first day at Dr. Emily’s abortion clinic, I was nervous but at the same time motivated to help the women entering the clinic as much as possible. This time I was lucky because by the grace of God, I spoke to a woman named Lucy. As she entered the clinic, Chelsy stopped to talk to her, but she spoke Spanish. I asked Lucy if she wanted to have a free sonogram in our mobile clinic. She told me she knew she was pregnant, but she didn’t know how far along she was. Together, Chelsy and I were able to convince her to go for the ultrasound.

On the way to mobile clinic, she told me her situation. Her husband and her mother did not support her in the pregnancy. Lucy already has two children and was worried that a third child would be more than she could handle. I told her that it was not a question of support. I asked her how can kill your child when you have the chance to love your child. I told her that she needed to be brave because she didn’t have the support of her husband, but encouraged her with the support we could offer her.

Julie took her inside the mobile clinic for the sonogram and I returned to the back of Dr. Emily’s. I later found out that Lucy had decided to keep her baby. I felt completely grateful because I was able to play a part in saving a baby’s life. I knew it was because of God, but it was beautiful to be a part of it. I think my whole trip here is worth it because of this one child that will now live. It was amazing to know that the first woman I spoke to on my first day was also my first turnaround.

No comments: