Thursday, July 30, 2009

Learning from the others


This last week I have had the opportunity of being in a lot of counselings with different interns.
I have been in Jerome's, in Liz's and two days in Emily's this week, both of them with Laura, when I had the chance of being in the Laura's first turn-around which was really moving.
In Emily's, I could talk with some girls. One of the women were really open-minded, but then, a woman who works in the clinic appeared and said to her: . And then, the woman went into the clinic.
The next day, a man in his forties, riding a bike, asked me: I 'm very curiosity to know what are you doing here, because yesterday I saw you here too. I began to explained him but he interrupted me and asked me: So, you are trying to discourage the girls to come into there?
I answered: Yes, I am. And his answer seemed to me really weird: That is bad.
After, he left. Ok, I thought, if what I'm doing it's bad, is it good what people inside the clinic do?
I have been counseling with Liz, with Maria and with Aracely and everything that I learnt from them has helped me today to do my first counseling alone. It has been great. When I started to talk with the woman she was really decided to get an abortion. Two hours later, after two videos -abortion procedures and the Silent Scream, of the Dr Nathanson- she has cried a lot and we have been in the chapel for minutes talking about the life who is growing inside of her, about God's will, and about suffering.
In the end she was almost persuaded to keep the baby. She would want that the baby was a girl, and called her Ofelia, as her mother, who died when she was seven years old.
She has a hard story but there is a incredible strength inside of her.

No comments: