Friday, April 17, 2009

"What a Mistake I was about to Make"

A 15-year-old girl and her mother came to Dr. Emily's abortion clinic, the largest abortion clinic in the South Bronx. It had been raining all day and we were starting to get discouraged because it becomes really difficult to speak to women when the weather is bad. They don't want to stop to talk. I was fortunately able to stop these two. I asked the mother if she wanted her to do this, and she shook her head slowly and said, "No." So I took them over to our mobile sonogram clinic down the street. Wadiya, our sonogram technician, showed her her baby on the screen. When The girl saw it, and heard the baby's heartbeat, she said, "What a mistake I was about to make." Her mother had been crying the whole time I was counseling her daughter, and at the sound of the heartbeat the tears ran down even harder. Then mom asked her daughter what she wanted to do, and she just asked if they could go home. So they did. God bless them!

No comments: