Friday, April 17, 2009

Receive your Diploma and your Baby

I helped out at our South Bronx Pregnancy Center on Easter Monday. It was a little depressing to think that girls would be wanting abortions the day after Easter, but I knew that they needed hope in the Resurrection more than anyone. I counseled a girl who was my age, her birthday was two days before mine. (It was kind of crazy to think how different our lives were). This was the first time she had been pregnant. Her friend, who had an abortion a couple of years ago, had told her to come to our place on 149th street. (I think she had mistaken our place for the Planned Parenthood across the street). So thank God she came to our place instead. She was undecided on what she wanted to do if she was pregnant. I had her start the pregnancy test and then I popped in the abortion procedures video for her (it's a non-graphic animated video showing the two most common abortion methods and the side effects). She was absolutely appalled. She sounded like me when I was a young pro-lifer. "How could anyone do that!" and "That's insane!" and "It's a full child!". So needless to say, she would have decided to keep her child. The pregnancy test was negative, but she had missed her period for two months, so we suspect that she is pregnant. She's going to come back in a week to test again, and we'll get her a sonogram in a couple weeks as well. She's graduating in a month, pregnant or not, from Hostos College in the Bronx. Diploma and maybe baby on the way!

No comments: