Friday, July 17, 2009

A Kind of Love Called Hope

One of my favorite parts about this summer has been the beautiful sense of community the interns have in the house. Gathered from so many different places, sharing the most important values of faith and family, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we truly enjoy spending time with each other.

Every night we'll discuss our days with each other, sharing both the moments of joy and those of sorrow. Encouragement, advice, support, and prayer are all offered. And though the girls I have personally seen are usually the ones who stay with me, occasionally another intern's experience will hit home.

Laura and I go over our days together almost every night; she's not only my housemate but my roommate, and one of my closest friends here. Wise beyond her years, calm and thoughtful, I know she has touched many girls this summer and her presence has been a blessing to everyone in the house as well.

Last night she told me a story of a young girl who came into her office -- maybe 17 or 18 -- a young girl who had every socially acceptable reason to abort her child: difficult childhood, history of abuse, lack of familial and spousal support. But after discussing her situation for a bit with Laura, she decided to keep her baby. She decided to defy conventional wisdom, and the odds against her, and she decided to choose life -- a better life for herself, and life at all for her child.

Laura, she who might be the most mature 19-year old I have ever met, was marveling at the wisdom of this girl who had come into her office. And one phrase she repeated to me, which I know I won't forget. "There's a kind of love called hope," the young girl said -- her explanation of her choice.

There's nothing I can add to the exquisite and simple truth this girl gave to Laura, which Laura gave to me. There's a kind of love called hope . . . what that we could give that love to every girl we meet.

No comments: