Thursday, July 2, 2009

Second Chances

The other day I was counseling a young woman of twenty. I could tell right away that she was a warm and sweet girl but I started to grow discouraged when I saw she had already had an abortion a year ago. Having one abortion greatly increases your chances of having another abortion and it is very easy for a girl to develop a hardened heart. I took a deep breath and continued with the session reminding myself that there is hope for each girl.

I put in the abortion procedure video. She said as we started to watch she said to me "I also wondered what they did to me when I had the abortion." I thought of how sad it was that she had no idea what they had done to her. She started making shocked noises as the movie continued and commenting she didn't know if she could do anymore. Thanks be to God we did not even finish the movie before she yelled stop! stop! I'm keeping my baby!

She told me she had promised God that if she got pregnant again she would not go through with another abortion. She told me she knew she deserved a decision she could be proud of and live with. She knew it wasn't right to deny someone life and especially her own child.

Her eyes filled with tears as I told her how far along she was and when her baby was due. She was left with joy and peace as she walked out the office taking the second chance God had given her. She was proud of herself and so was I!

No comments: