Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Suckers – Adoption – Tampa

Suckers – Adoption – Tampa

I mentioned very briefly in my last blog the suckers received by the women after their abortions at Emily’s abortion clinic in the Bronx. Today I saw a woman on the subway eating a sucker and I was almost made sick. I don’t think I’ll ever eat one again. Julie told me how someone, I for got who, says they use suckers to sort of slap us in the face. Suckers because their child was sucked out a tube; however, instead they call them Dum Dum’s, because the women are Dum Dum’s for having an abortion. I wonder if there is any truth in all this. Do the clinic workers purposely give the women suckers after their abortions just to spite us sidewalk counselors? Or are we reading too much into it? Maybe the clinic workers are trying as hard as they can to liken abortion to having a tooth pulled at the dentist. The dentist always gives you a lolli pop, if it’s a good dentist a toothbrush accompanies the candy. Now, what about the women? Would I accept a sucker on my way out of the clinic after killing my child? Would I ask for a specific flavor? These are all thoughts I have been having…

I told a woman my story about the adoption of my little brother. I have to be careful of who reads this because he is six and does not know he was adopted. That conversation will come later in life. Basically if you know my brother or you ever meet him and you decide to under mind my family by saying, Oh you are adopted, I will then have to tie your tongue in a knot. ;) But let me continue; I told the woman my story while I was committing the ultimate sin at Liz’s, showing a client the supply room. Of course I wasn’t told until afterward of its sinfulness. I do not, however, regret it. She needed to see that we REALLY CAN help her! I believe the counselor at that given moment knows what methods are best to reach the client. My client needed comfort, reassurance, someone to tell her everything will be okay. So in the cluttered supply room with baby supplies all around us I told her my story. (one of them) We adopted my little brother and before him I never understood what unconditional love was. He taught me how to love with no bounds, because of the age difference at times I feel like he’s a son. I am very protective like a mother. I told her how much joy my little brother has brought to my life. Yes, he is a little pest sometimes, but he’s my little pest. I love him so much and I can not imagine how my life would be today without him. I then told her that if because of her situation and circumstances she is unable to keep her child, she has the opportunity to provide that same joy that I have to others. She is able to carry her baby and then place it in a safe place with a family that wants and is ready for a child. At one point we returned to the counseling room. I left the room for a second and when I came back in she was inquiring more about adoption. She left undecided but saying she was going to look into adoption. I am going to follow up tonight or tomorrow.

I was also able to meet a girl that is from the same town I am from in Florida. She came all the way to NY because she was so afraid of telling her mom she might be pregnant. Her test was negative, but she has missed her period for two months. I told her to come back in two weeks for another test. I gave her my phone number and I think we will stay in contact.

-Shallyn

No comments: